Monday 5 September 2011

It's your turn to share something interesting!

So here are your ideas! Pick yours or someone else’s, or yours and someone else’s, or...you get the picture and let us get this thing rollin’!
If this is too mini to read click on this link to view it bigger:
C:\Users\randles.meghan\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\PWAXU3LB\IMAG0449[1].jpg

This is my postage...you can respond to this if you'd like!
Upon my endeavors to find ‘the most descriptive language’, I stumbled across Greenlandic.-
It’s descriptive in the sense that a loan Greenlandic word can hold the meaning for what we English speakers would need several words or a sentence to be able to convey.
I love this!- The word 'computer' is 'qarasaasiaq' in Greenlandic, which directly translates to mean 'artificial brain'. 'Potato' is called 'naatsiiat' , which literally means 'something for which one waits for a long time to grow up'.- this truly warms my heart.
Greenlandic is a ‘polysynthetic’ language, which means that words are formed with a root, and one or more affixes and a suffix. –
This will be the first post of many to demystify Greenlandic culture and heritage through entry point of its Language. I’m excited!
I’m thinking my next post will track down other polysynthetic languages, and how Greenlandic came to be...

1 comment: