Monday 12 September 2011

Travelling with English

Travelling around the world these days is easier and less interesting. If you go to one capital city, you know what the rest of the capital cities look like. If you speak English, you don't need to know any other language. This makes you feel more comfortable and at home, no matter how far away you are.

When I was in Germany last year, there was only one person to serve me in a shop who didn't speak enough English to serve me. Walking around Frankfurt I felt like I was walking around Melbourne. It was multicultural and all the buildings looked the same. When I got seriously lost on the trains it was fine because all the conductors spoke English.

If English (or any language for that matter) took over all the other languages then the world wouldn't be diverse and interesting. There would be no point of travelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment